Wednesday 3 October 2012

Eddie Cochran - Drum City (Guybo)



Yesterday would have been Eddie Cochran's 74th birthday, so I thought I'd post one of my favorite instrumental's by the man himself. It's always been a favourite of mine and in my opinion is better than the original version of Guybo. The drum sound is excellent!

Drum City was an overdubed version of "Guybo", which was recorded on 25th August 1959.
Guybo aka Drum City was released in the U.S under the name of Cochran's band, The Kelly Four, who were Connie 'Guybo' Smith on bass, Dave Shriver on bass, Gene Riggio on drums and Jim Stivers on piano.



Eddie Cochran with the Kelly Four in 50's rockers killers by Lolo Debourges



5 comments:

  1. This reminds me of being a kid and my dad making an attempt to "educate" me on good music. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very 50s sound – with a nod to the coming 60s. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Cochran and the Kelly Four. "Ain't no cure for the summertime blues.." That was a great song. Cochran could play some skiffle couldn't he. Riggio was a good drummer too and did some journeyman work with Trini Lopez. I wish I still had all my albums!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely delicious. Great sounds, really glad you brought it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought that all songs from that era had lyrics of some sort to it so to hear anything instrumental feels odd.

    Learned something today.

    ReplyDelete