Thursday 9 August 2012

Max Q - Sometimes




Back to the 80's for today's post. Back in the mid 80's my favourite band was INXS, I went to see them in concert around 9 times, until that fateful day back in  1997. As an avid record collector, yes record not CD, I bought everything the band released, including this one by Max Q, featuring Mr Hutchence himself on vocals.
Sometimes reached the dizzying heights of No 53 in the UK but a higher No 31 in Australia.

The following came from michaelhutchenceinfo.com

1989 would prove itself a very different year for Michael Hutchence, musically. He unzipped his rock star costume and went off and broadened his musical abilities to gain some credibility for himself. For a start he cut his hair. It came as a shock to many, used to seeing Hutchence use his hair like a cowboy throws a lasso, falling across his eyes, flipping back, drawing people of both sexes.

"I felt like it, so I did it," he says. "I just got the old Swiss Army knife out. It's symbolic. I was getting sick of all these guys with permed, long hair. I didn't want to be associated with it, so I guess it was my statement towards that crap. If at the very least I got rid of some unwanted followers, those that were there for my hair. I had to grow up. It was the end of something in a way - the end of the INXS tour."

Hutchence's haircut took place in a studio while he was making a record - not with INXS though, but with the experimental band Max Q . After more than a year touring the world in 1987-88, INXS were tired. They had been recording and performing over ten years, so they decided to cease being INXS for twelve months.

4 comments:

  1. Awful but I did like a lot of his other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind this. I was never a big INXS fan, though I designed all their tour material for the "Listen Like Thieves" tour.

    http://hariklia-what-she-said.blogspot.com.au/search/label/inxs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!What a great thing to have done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was very exciting at the time, my first 'real' design job!

      Delete